Friday, November 13, 2009


Final Reflection

It’s the end of the semester and I should be feeling happy (*forget the exams..:P*) but for once in my 3 years of NUS life I am actually feeling sad for not being able to continue with a module… ES2007S was a very fun and enriching module unlike the boring engin core modules that I am destined to take for my next 3 semesters :(

The Beginning
When I was choosing modules for this semester I accidently chanced upon ES2007S and I asked my seniors if the module was beneficial, but no one had ever heard of it, but I was still interested. The most attractive aspect of the module I thought was the BLOG!! Though I wanted to learn how to write a good resume etc but the fact that blogging was given 30% marks was really interesting (I actually thought it was going to be easy…haizzz – how wrong I was)

Coming to ES2007S class for the first time, I really liked the concept of learning by interacting with others, presenting etc. Though I had to change class I actually feel it was for the better since I got to meet all of you :)

The Learning Process
The major skill set I have learnt from this module is the communications skills set (for obvious reasons) – verbal and non-verbal.
Written - Non-Verbal
To be honest, I have not felt majorly apprehensive during presentations or when talking in a large group and my writing skills has been above average as well, so I have always thought that continuing the way I am is just fine, but I realized how wrong I was. During these 3 months I found that I had many flaws, especially in the non-verbal aspect of communication. I noticed this when I received my feedback for the blog and the resume/cover letter that I lacked organization in my writing :( After rectifying the errors pointed out by Ms. Happy and looking back at my past personal statements, resume etc. made me understand the importance of structuring a written statement. Looking back at my 1st resume, it was a complete mess with information practically everywhere but now I feel my resume is so much better and has more relevant information in it.
7C's of Communication
Another aspect I feel I benefited from is the 7C’s of communication. Although all of us have, to some extent, good communication skills I feel that knowing the theory behind effective communication gives us an added advantage over others. I believe most of us developed our communication skills through practical interaction with others but what we have learnt through experience may not give us a complete picture. I really felt a difference in my communication skills after knowing the 7C’s. In a way, the 7C’s has given me a basis from which I can compare to see if I have done well in terms of communicating my message and by doing so I feel I can identify my mistakes more effectively and learn from it.
Presentations
Though it is common sense to most that there are many different ways in which presentations can be made, I actually never knew the ‘real’ (the distinguishing factor) difference between the different kinds of presentation. Even after presenting for the peer teaching session and the final OP I still didn’t realize this difference until Ms. Happy pointed it out. Though the differences are rather subtle, by knowing these differences one can identify which aspect they should concentrate on for that particular presentation which will eventually make it a more effective presentation.

My BIG Thanks :)
After these 3 months, I can see a big difference in my communication skills, thanks to Ms. Happy, my group members – Wei Xiong, Xin Wei and Luigi ‘Louie’ and to the whole class for helping me realize my flaws and improve my skills set. A very BIG thank you to everyone and another BIG thank you to Ms. Happy for being such a wonderful tutor and for making this module very enjoyable. Thank you :)


Cheerios,
Keerth ^^

PS: Sorry for this super long post…

7 comments:

  1. Hi Keerth,


    Other than the long wall of text, I think your post is well put. Perhaps you can even make small headings for parts of your post to make it easier to read. (Eg. The Beginning..., The Process..., The Aftermath...)

    I agree with you on "no one had ever heard of it". This module should be made known to Engin fac!
    I learnt more things in this module than the other English module we have to take.
    Lastly, thank you to you too! Perhaps I might even see you around in Engin someday...


    Regards,
    Pak Ming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keerth

    It was nice knowing you.The first impression that you gave me was you were a cheerful and confident lady and I remembered that day we shared our experience on different culture behaviour. In addition, I enjoy the confidence and enthuatism that you present when you gave the oral presentation and the peer teaching.

    I agree with you that most of us don't realise the importance of non-verbal cues until we were taught on it and seeing our own non-verbal cues in presentation.This is very useful for us to communicate effectively with one another.

    But I feel that the 7Cs are more useful in our writing because it help us write more professionally. In fact, your post is always lively, interesting and professionally written.

    I wish you all the best in your studies and keep in touch.

    Regards
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keerth,
    Although a bit long, it's a very well organized and well written post. Moreover, I agree with Eileen that 7C's is more useful for written English, but we can still use it for spoken English.
    The impression you gave me was that you have very good presentation skills. You looked confident and have very good posture during presentations. And You can always express your thoughts clearlly without a panic.
    I learnt a lot from you, and it is so great to know you. All the best for your exams! :)

    Regards,
    Danhua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi "the leader of world rojak",

    I'm so glad that you've improved so much for your presentation as well as your communication skills. Ms. Happy will be specially happy about that, too.

    Like i mentioned in Danhua's entry, life is about learning and i would like to thank you for your comments in my entries. Your comments lead me to another point of view, which definitely cannot be ignore and i've learnt a lot of new things from you.

    Your entry (the way you write), your thinking as well as your presentation are so coherent that i really enjoy reading your blog, having conversation with you as well as being an audience for your presentation.

    Last but not least, all the best to you and take care!

    Cheers,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyas Keerth,

    Did you ever wonder what it would have been like if our original class hadn't fallen apart? I still talk to Russell and Yan Kit on occasion. I remember you laughing at my supposed dilemma, how cruel, hah.

    Anyway, it was nice having a familiar face in the class, at least the for first few lectures. I'm glad we ended up in the same lecture, because this class was awesome.

    Working with you was a pleasure, you're an excellent presentation-giver :) I hope everything goes well for you, especially since you're in the torment that is "engineering school." Augh!

    Take care,
    Luigi

    p.s. I'll get around to watching Vampire Knight soon, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear all,

    Thank you for your comment. I will really miss this blog; I have become very used to checking it often.

    Pak Ming: Thank you for your suggestion to create headings. I have added the headings, hope it’s much clearer now:) I am sure we will meet in Engin some day or another. It is so small after all.

    Eileen: Thank you for your comments. I am glad you liked my blog :D Wow, I didn’t think I left such a good impression on you on the first day, I though I was kind of sloppy haha. As for the 7C’s, though we learnt it for the writing aspect of communications I feel that all methods of communications is ultimately a form communication so I feel that it can be applied in all context :) But yes, it might apply more to the written aspect of communication.

    DanHua: Thanks for your comments and thanks for your compliments. It has been great knowing you too.

    Ryan: Thank you for your comments. I feel really happy when you and DanHua say that you learnt a lot from me. But somehow I didn’t think there was anything much to learn from me… hahaha Like I mentioned in your Blog, I think your blog posts are rather unique and you have a very different view point which made your blog rather interesting.

    Louie: Hahaha… ‘torment engineering school’, I couldn’t stop laughing when I read it. But you have summarized engineering life well. It was a pleasure working with you as well and I must say your design sense is really good :) Thank you for your comments. By the way, was I really laughing? :P I see Jason often in Engin as well :) Though we had to change class I don’t feel sad about it, since we got to meet everyone here :)

    I will really miss everyone from the class and the module as well. Though it was a hectic module, I actually enjoyed it :) and there was a lot of interaction among us and such interaction is usually not there in engineering modules. Most of us tend to be with our own group of friends which is sad since we don’t get the opportunity to meet many people. Good luck to all of ya :)

    Cheers,
    Keerth ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keerth,

    It has been a pleasure and memorable experience to work with you during the OP; been nice knowing you as a friend. Like what you mentioned, this module put our presentation and communication skills to the test. With the rushing many deadlines, we were required to have the 7C’s of communication and applied other soft skills at in order to perform well and reduce conflicts. Without such practises, there would not be eventful benefits and memories along the way. Other modules would never offer these wealth of experience and skills. I guess from the flipside of being stressed out and all, such benefits evens it all. The friendship forge is a much-needed bonus too.

    Here, I would like to thank you for being some accommodating and patience while doing the OP. It was a wonderful to slog as a team, working hard towards the same goal of perfecting our presentation and communicative skills. The fun we had while we reflect on our post OP video, the verbal actions, tone, mannerism etc, was great and meaningful too.

    Before goodbye, with the 7C’s of effective communication in mind, I hope that we can work together again some time.

    Tsetchem Leshalom

    Sincerely,
    Wei Xiong

    ReplyDelete