Sunday, November 8, 2009

Reflection on Oral Presentation


The picture speaks for itself. I feel it is very important to stay composed under any circumstances. If we are clam and collected we can at least think about what we can do next to rectify the problem :)


Finally the OP is over…yay! Though it was tiring to prepare the slides and rehearse for the OP it was a wonderful experience to learn how to present properly and an even better experience when we were able to learn and rectify our errors. I feel that the effort of me and my group (Wei Xiong and Xin Wei) had paid off and I would like to thank them both for being very helpful and accommodative throughout the process of the project. :D

Preparation:
My group worked well together to prepare for the slides and the presentation. Our presentation slides were simple, and we used key notes to emphasize our points better. I feel this made our presentation easier to understand, in addition we also added pictures and quotes to make the presentation more interesting and I feel the effort has paid off.

Delivery:
Considering that we only finalized our slides after coming to class, I feel we did well. However, I could have slowed down and since I was nervous I forgot to mention some points and I think I pronounced ‘Mao Zedong’ wrong as well! Considering the 7Cs of communication I feel I missed out on the points of clarity and completeness. Having rushed through the presentation I think it must have been a little difficult to understand what I was saying and since I forgot to mention some points I think I missed out on the ‘completeness’ factor as well. For the other aspects such as courtesy, correctness, conciseness and coherence I think I managed fulfill their requirements to some extent. All in all I think my group did a good job in bringing our message across and it is was an enriching experience drafting the proposal and presenting.

As for the question and answer session, I think we managed to answer appropriately for the questions asked.


Cheers,
Keerth :D

8 comments:

  1. Hi Keerth

    I feel that you did a great job in the presentation. Firstly, I enjoyed seeing your smile most. Your facial expression made me feel warm and comforting. In addition, you were loud and clear, thereby making it easy to understand.

    In addition, I enjoyed the way you and your groupmates answered our queries. It was professional and showed group support and confidence.
    However, I noticed that you were look at the ceiling sometimes while speaking. But overall I think you and your groupmates did a great job.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keerth,

    I agree with Eileen that you have done a great job in the presentation! Even though you mentioned that you were nervous, I couldn't see that during your presentation. Instead, I think you seemed rather composed and your gestures were natural and professional. And it was really nice to see you smile all the way!

    As for the verbal component, I think your articulation is good which makes it clear what you were trying to say. But I have to disagree with Eileen on your voice volume. I feel that you could have spoken louder to better deliver your points to the audience, especially those who were sitting at the back (like me!).

    Nevertheless, I enjoyed your presentation!

    Cheers,
    Chai Yee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keerth,
    I agree with Eileen and chai yee that you have done a great job. :)your presentation was clear and natural, if you didn't mentioned I wouldn't notice you have missed out any points. Moreover, I think it is OK to pronounce "Mao Zedong" wrong, since it is hard for you to prounce Chinese names. A lot of my Singaporean friends pronounce my name wrong, but I'm still able to tell when they called my name.:)

    One suggestion though, maybe you could have more gestures. I noticed that you have stood still with only a few hand gestures.

    All in all, you have done a great job, and I enjoyed your presentation!

    Best Regards,
    Danhua

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keerth

    I must agree that your articulation is commendable. you did strike my attention to listen to you. you presented confidently although i didnt realise that u were looking at the ceiling at times. However, i felt that your group presentation included too much quotes. maybe the quotes were important to your presentation but i felt it was not so much of your own group presentation but always quoting from people.
    Nevertheless, i feel you did a good job in conveying your ideas and all the best to your future presentations.

    Gail :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Keerth:

    Frankly speaking, I enjoyed your presentation. You were composed, relaxed and natural in your speech which made me want to listen to you speak. I think you were able to effectively present the ideas to the floor with your clear and effective use of language. Good job.

    Personlly, I thought your team exhibited good teamwork and team spirit during the presentation especially during the Q&A in which you all supported each other very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Keerth,

    I feel that you are a natural presenter. You were confident, composed and most importantly natural. Your articulation was impeccable, with varied intonations. I agree with Chai Yee that you were a little soft though as I was sitting at the back and there were times where I could not hear you clearly.
    For the mispronunciation of “Mao Zedong”, I felt that if you want to quote from someone as well-known as him, you would do well to consult a Chinese friend on how to pronounce his name properly. As a non-Chinese, it would be impressive if you were able to pronounce a Chinese name properly and it enhances your credibility greatly. My personal opinion would be that, if you really have trouble pronouncing, you may want to quote someone else and avoid Chinese personnel. I feel that you should not put something on your slides that will work against you; instead your slides should work to your advantage and increase the effectiveness of your presentation.

    Just my two cents worth.

    Warmest regards,
    Zhengyang.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all,

    Thanks for your compliments and suggestions for improving my presentation skills. I really appreciate your effort in giving your feedback :D

    Eileen: Thanks for your comments. I didn’t release I was looking at the ceiling, thank you for noticing. I will try to change the next time :) Am glad you enjoyed our presentation.

    Chai Yee: Thank you for you comments, I will try speaking louder next time. I hear it quite often that I am very soft but I always feel that I am speaking audibly during presentations. I guess as the speaker I hear my extra loudly. Haha

    DanHua: Thanks for your comments. I was nervous because we did not rehearse as a group and we only finalized the slides the last minute, in class! so I was afraid that I would forget what my next slide was going to be, but it’s great that the nervousness did not show. Thanks for pointing out about the gestures :) I will try to improve on that.

    Gail: Thank you for your comments. Yes, I think so too that most of my slides were quotes. But I had to use quotes to support our point better since the problem we identified was on the ability to learn in students; so we thought that using quotes to support our stand would better substantiate our points. Nevertheless I will try reducing the number of quotes next time, maybe from the audience point of view it was too much of outside information. Thanks :)

    Jessica: Thank you for your comments. Glad you enjoyed the presentation. :)

    Zhenyang: Thanks for you comments. I didn’t realize I was mispronouncing his name actually, I only realized I pronounced it wrong when Louie mentioned it to me after the presentation ha-ha. Nevertheless I think it important to get names right, next time I will make sure my pronunciation is correct before the presentation. Thanks.

    Thanks once again for all your comments :)

    Cheers,
    Keerth

    ReplyDelete